“Journey to Topaz” Journal Entries

Chapter 3 A Lonely Christmas– Mrs. Jamieson’s Perspective

I’m so worried for Yuki and her family. What the government is planning is not right, I cannot allow this to happen. That’s why I sent those letters to the president. I know it’s a shot in the dark but I’m hopeful that they will make their way to him. These people are Americans, they’re not a threat. I must prepare to say goodbye to Yuki, maybe if I give her my pearl ring she will be able to stay strong. This is such an awful situation.

Chapter 5 Inside the Barbed Wire– Yuki’s Perspective

My house looks so empty and deserted. Saying goodbye to my house, my friends, my entire life is the hardest part. I’m so afraid of what’s to come, I hope I’m ready and packed the right stuff. Ken and mom are worried too, they are acting like they’re calm to make me feel better but they just as scared and worried.

Chapter 6 Home is a Horse Stall– Mrs. Sakane’s Perspective

I can’t find even one good thing to cheer up my family. We went from living in a nice house to sleeping in a horse stall and using a restroom without doors. And I don’t know what it was they were trying to do back there, but that “dinner” was absolutely repulsive, food is meant to be enjoyed. At least our bundle finally came to us, and we can have tea and lay down our sheets and blankets. Oh, I hope my husband is alright.

Chapter 8 Ken Spoils a Party-Mrs. Sakane’s Perspective

If Ken has the chance to get out of here and continue his education, I want him to go. No, I need him to go. Clearly, I don’t want him to leave us, but I he has an opportunity to better him, and he deserves to get out of here if he can. I think we can manage without him, it is going to be difficult watching him leave, but I think it’s the best option.

Chapter9 A New Rumor– Yuki’s perspective

I am still upset about Ken leaving and I know Mr. Toda is trying to help, but I can’t let Ken go, I need him here. Especially if that rumor about us having to move to another camp is true. I can’t do this alone, and I know mom thinks we will be fine but I know that deep down she is scared and doesn’t want him to leave.